2/02/2011

From the Archives of CallMeKarrie...

Posted by WNO |

I like having an audience but sometimes I write for the sake of writing. Whether it be to hone my skills or just to vent, I sometimes write with no intention of ever sharing it.

There are also some times I write with the intention of sharing it but then decide it stuff it in the CallMeKarrie archives. These type of posts never make it to the blogosphere for a number of various reasons but most often its because I think my opinions or observations will be perceived as negative. I never want anyone to leave a CallMeKarrie post thinking "oh, she's a hater" or "she's just mad because blah blah blah" or "damn, it must be that time of the month", lol.

Anywho, I would now like to share something I wrote a month ago, shoved into the archive but decided to give a second chance. Although the trigger has long faded in the oh-so-fickle and forgetting pop culture media environment, the heart of the article is timeless.

I present for your reading pleasure Beautiful Black Woman BUT... (written on January 6, 2011)

Ok, imma discuss this once & only once so here goes…

If you are a blog junkie like me, I’m sure you’ve already seen Lil Wayne’s alleged comment about dark-skinned women. If not, check it out here. While I won’t discuss the Lil Wayne situation specifically, I will address how it has been the most recent catalyst for the never-ending “dark vs light” debate that has being going on in the black community since massuh first defiled mammy.

Generalizations are for people who are generally stupid. Point. Blank. Period. To say that all people of one skin tone (or race, religion, whatever) are automatically more attractive or better than their counterparts at the other end of the spectrum just sounds silly. If you’ve never seen a “beautiful black woman” may need glasses or need to broaden your horizons. If you’ve never seen a manly, well endowed light-skinned dude, I feel sorry for you. If you have to qualify someone’s attractiveness by saying “you’re cute for a [insert skin tone & gender]”, well frankly, you just don’t really find them attractive. And that’s ok. Such is life.

No one can fault you for your preferences, we all have them, but if your preference is based on a negative generalization towards your OWN people, then #killyaself! Take off the mental shackles that enslave your niggorance and JUMP! I’ll send my condolences to your fam.

Furthermore, black women, please stop looking for love and validation in music videos and things of that nature. Should we see more positive images of black women of all skin tones in the media? Yes. Is a music video really where you want to see a reflection of yourself? Probably not (not unless you aspire to be a video vixen then hey, that’s your business).

Last but not least, to my beautiful black sisters that accompanied the Young Money crew to a hotel room to “chill”, were subsequently offended, and later sparked this debate: let’s cry a river, build a bridge & get over it. Group hug, collective exhale and back to your normally scheduled, uh, whatever it is that you do when you are not in hotel rooms w/Young Money.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must agree that people really need to get over the School Daze's "wannabees" and "jiggaboos" stigma. Although I don't believe the story is true, The woman that went to the room with Young Money set herself up to be taken advantage of. Did she really think she was going to play Monopoly?

CallMeKarrie said...

thanks for the comment anonymous. sad to say but i dont think the "wannabees v jiggaboos" mentality will go away anytime soon ... and you are right, who the heck hangs out in hotels w/young money looking for good, clean, politically correct fun??? lol

Ms. Heartache said...

So over the whole light vs. dark stigma. A lighter complexion does not equal attractive.

And as far as Wayne, I don't see how anyone can take him seriously. He thinks sipping lean, getting tattoos on his face, wearing ball hugging jeans and having babies by 3 diff women in 1 year is thing to do. Nobody in their right mind would consider anything he has to say besides "I need rehab" relevant.

Subscribe