1/31/2011

Amazon Book Reveiw for BITNB

Posted by WNO |

Hola!

A few weeks ago I mentioned I was reading Bitch Is The New Black by Helena Andrews. I didn't do an actual review on it, but here is the review I left on Amazon if you are interested:

3 out of 5 Stars

Tried to love it... ended up thinking "eh, its ok", January 19, 2011

By Call Me Karrie

This review is from: Bitch Is the New Black: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I was somewhat familiar w/the author and had high hopes for this book. Her demographic being very similar to my own, I thought it would be like reading a transcript from a convo w/a friend. It definitely had its likable, funny and relatable moments but its randomness made it difficult for me to stay interested. I am a fan of stream of consciousness writing but I'm not even sure if that is what this is. The best way I can describe it is "patchy".

Overall, I think Andrews is a very interesting person w/a great story to tell but I think the way this book was written left a little to be desired (and I believe she is capable of better given her professional accomplishments as a journalist). As a reader, I do not need a book to have a pretty, definitive ending wrapped in a bow but I do like to feel that I have some sense of who the main character is and what the future may hold for her/him.

I would still recommend this to someone who is interested in the genre but would not recommend it for a book club.

0 comments:

Subscribe